Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jesus as a Prophet

Prophecy and Parallels’ of Jesus and His earthly ministry

Parallel to Jesus ministry in the Old Testament

God sending Moses to speak His words to Pharaoh
• Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

They will Hear moses voice but the words are the words of God
• Exo 3:18 And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The LORD God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God.
Moses excuse kindle the LORDS anger
• Exo 4:1 And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The LORD hath not appeared unto thee.
• Exo 4:10 And Moses said unto the LORD, O my LORD, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

God will put His word in Moses mouth

• Exo 4:11-12 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.


Moses Anger the LORD.

Exo 4:13 And he said, O my LORD, send, I pray thee, by the hand of him whom thou wilt send. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses, and he said, Is not Aaron the Levite thy brother? I know that he can speak well. And also, behold, he cometh forth to meet thee: and when he seeth thee, he will be glad in his heart.

Moses will put the words in Aarons mouth
Exo 4:15a And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: 

God will be with Moses and Aarons mouth
Exo 4:15band I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what ye shall do.

Aaron will supply the mouth and Moses will be like a God to him to supply the words but the words are the word of God.
Exo 4:16 And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people: and he shall be, even he shall be to thee instead of a mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God.

This is a role of a prophet being demonstrated here. A true prophet only speaks what God tells him to say
• Deuteronomy 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.


Jesus playing the role of a prophet; The man Christ Jesus

• Deu 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
• Deu 18:19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

This is a prophecy concerning Jesus as a man as a prophet whom God will raise. A man whom God will use to speak His words. He will only speak what God gives Him to say, not of His own. We know Jesus is the one spoken here, the man Born at Bethlehem.

Jesus speaks as a man (Prophet)

• Joh 12:47-49 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

Throughout Jesus ministry, He never claimed anything to be God. He did everything as a man, He has to be a man in order to be a qualified kinsman redeemer. But what about the miracles He did? Although Jesus spake as a man, He was also God. As a man He hungered but as a God He fed the multitude. He did many things but never claimed any glory for it but rather He says that it was the Father in Him who does the works. 
• Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
• Joh 7:16-18 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

He claims the word He spake was not of Himself but of God. He speaks as a prophet as a man not a second member of trinity.
• Joh 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
• Joh 8:50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

The man Christ Jesus (The prophet) only do and say what He is told to say and do.
• Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Jesus speaks as a man and as a prophet
John 17:3; 7; 8; 14; 18 ; 


In John 17, Jesus was praying as a man, He spake in a role of the one sent on a mission, the prophet prophesied in the book of deuteronomy. He says, Igo to the Father, how can one Go to the Father? Isn't God an omnipresent being? There is no place we can go and the Father is not, but in a mans perspective, yes we can say that when we die we go to our Father, Jesus has to speak this way, He has to stay in His role as a man, as a our brother, the second adam, Our Kinsman redeemer.
In these passages Jesus refers to the Father as the only true God and to Himself a a man playing the role of the prophet prophesied in Deu 18:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment